Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Steppin’ Out 4; Person B & Dave

[The below is a response from Person B with my answers highlighted in italics within the body. – Dave]

Dave,I have three comments to make...

1) What is it that WHES needs? There is a diverse cross section of people who are zoned for WHES...those that sell food stamps to get unregulated cash, those that live sparsely but within their means, those that have their house paid for and are managing their money just fine. [This description of the WHES district is something I did not have an understanding of. My ignorance could be a symptom of a general communication problem?] Who is it that we should reach, how, and why? [Good questions that I believe we are just beginning to explore with an initial focus on WHES itself?] What I see in your response is the desire to be in community with a population that is different from ours. To fellowship and seek Christ through the diversity and commonality. [These are less desires than natural responses to a "missional" call as I understand it; if I understand it correctly?] This takes a great deal of trust and understanding...a great deal of relationship. [I agree and building that trust has to start somewhere and will take a lot of effort to develop.]

2) We currently do not have that kind of relationship with West Huntsville. I am not saying that we can't, but at the moment we do not. It will take someone with a passion and a calling, that feels the importance of this to establish that relationship and help FPC and West Huntsville find ways to come together. Without a point person, who will foster and formulate, cajole, kick, and pray, the larger relationship will not materialize. This is the way of it...someone must be called to be the light and for a time guide us into a fuller relationship. [This HAS been the way of it. If our study of the emerging culture has any merit then the most likely future of such efforts are through a team approach. A team of folks must catch the vision to move it forward. A single champion is not sustainable and as such has a greater chance to disappoint and have negative impacts. (Throughout the recent study of the emerging culture I've often wondered if this actual call to team action is really calling a bluff?)]

3) From my reading of the past few emails, I have to ask if you are being called to such a relationship and to such a leadership role. [I do not feel called to a traditional champion role. I do not feel the call to quit my job to devote myself to be such a champion and I'm still a few years away from retirement for that to happen soon. I do feel I am called to continue to explore this whole idea of being missional, and WHES in particular, in a public way. Both to promote dialog and understanding as well as painting a vision in hopes that a team of Faith folks might catch it in a team manner. I do not feel I have the people skills (or the correct work hours) to be on the front line of communication with WHES persons.] Please pray about this...no one else seems to have the same conviction as you at this point in time and so no one else can (or probably will) put your vision into action at this time. I will be praying for you and how we can help you as you seek to fulfill this ministry. [Thank you! I and Faith can use all the prayers we can get!]

No comments: